Best Camera under $200 – 2020 Reviews and Top Picks
The Best In Tech may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Modern cameras are more advanced than our imagination. With exciting features coming up every now and then, capturing images has become simpler and more enjoyable.
The results are so great that you don’t need to be an expert photographer to capture a decent click. Also, these cameras have sleek, stylish and sturdy looks that will attract you into buying these gadgets.
Especially, if you are about to enter the world of photography and if you want to start with a low budget, our picks for cameras under $200 should definitely help.
At a Glance: Our Choices for the Best Camera Under 200
First in our list is Fujifilm Instax Mini 90 Neo Classic Instant Film Camera. Fujifilm is a reliable name in the camera industry so you can safely put your money on this gadget. Features such as flash adjustability, auto-brightness detection, and many others make your film and photo capturing simpler and the results are worth watching. It’s a great product for amateur photographers and offers great price value.
Another Fujifilm camera features in our picks for top 5 cameras. Fujifilm FinePix XP80 is an attractive looking digital camera available at Amazon. This camera is specially designed for underwater filming and photography and it’s also shock-proof. With Wi-Fi connectivity and loads of other features, this camera is a great option if you’re looking for a camera under $200.
Next in our list is this cool compact camera from Samsung. Samsung WB350F Smart Wi-Fi & NFC Digital Camera is a delight for professional photographers thanks to its 16.3 MP resolution with 21x optical zoom. It’s light weight and offers good value for your money.
Nikon COOLPIX S7000 is next in our list. It’s a cool and compact design and the lightest cameras on our list. It has 16 MP resolution with a decent 20x optical zoom to help you capture high-quality images.
Last but not the least, we have this complete camera kit from Sony. Sony DSC WX 220 offers an effective zooming capability of up to 30x. Among our picks, it has the highest resolution i.e. 18.2 Megapixel and it’s also the priciest of the lot.
Top 5 Best Digital Camera Under $200 Comparison Chart
Best Digital Camera Under $200 Reviews
1. Fujifilm Instax Mini 90 Neo Classic Instant Film Camera
First up, we have this classic vintage design camera from Fujifilm. This camera will take you back in time with its typical 90’s looks. From the first look, you may never be able to guess the digital powers of this camera as it has got a typical look of an old camera.
So why does this camera feature in our list? Well, if you don’t have a liking for Polaroid cameras, this may not be the one for you. It captures and prints images instantly. However, this camera can adjust to the environment brightness through its brightness detecting features. Accordingly, it can adjust the shutter speed as well as the flash amount.
The Macro mode allows you to capture crystal clear images of short distance objects while the Kids mode lets you capture fast moving objects smoothly.
This camera is mainly for amateur photographers who like capturing random pictures of their pets and kids etc. If you’re a professional photographer, you may go for other cameras that we have shared on our list.
- Automatically detects the brightness of the surrounding and adjusts the amount of flash and shutter speed to optimize photo quality
- Double exposure mode 2 images are produced on 1 film sheet by pressing the shutter twice; Shutter release: Programmed electronic shutter release, 1.8 - 1/400 sec shutter speeds
- Bulb mode the shutter remains open while the shutter button is depressed (10 seconds maximum) and a light trail can be photographed
- Macro mode short distance photography as close as 30 to 60cm; Lens: Move in or out type lens, 2 components, 2 elements, f=60mm, F=12.7
- Kids mode suitable for photographing kids, pets and other fast moving subjects due to a fast shutter speed
2. Fujifilm FinePix XP80 Waterproof Digital Camera
This camera is a great option for both amateur and professional photographers. It has got a funky yellow color outfit and it has been designed to fight tough weather conditions. If you like traveling to extreme climatic regions, this camera can be a perfect partner for your photography adventures.
When we talk about the specs, the camera offers a 16.2 MP resolution and its result in low light is exceptionally good. As for the water proofing capabilities, you can take it down as deep as 15 meters and it can also withstand shocks up to 1.75meters. You can use it in extreme temperatures up to -10 Degree C.
You can capture up to 10 frames per second in the continuous mode. Also, it connects to your smartphone through Wi-Fi so you can instantly upload pictures to your Instagram or Snapchat etc. It’s a neat and compact camera and offers great value for the money.
- 4 Way Proof - Waterproof 50 ft / 15m, Freeze proof 14 Degree F / -10 DegreeC, Shockproof 5.8 ft / 1.75m and Dustproof.
- 16.2 megapixel backlit CMOS sensor delivershigh-quality images in low light.
- Continuous shooting mode is capable of capturing up to 10.0fps (maximumrecording of 10 images at full resolution).
- Full HD Movies with one-touch movie button.
- Connect to your smartphone or tablet for extra enjoyment for Remote Shooting and Wireless Image Transfer.
3. Samsung WB350F Smart Wi-Fi & NFC Digital Camera
Samsung has always been a reliable name in the world of tech gadgets and this camera is another example of it. It’s a simple yet highly advanced camera with a 16.3 MP resolution that gives high-quality results every time.
The 21 x optical zoom capability is one of the highlights in this camera. Also, it offers a 5x digital zoom which can make miniature photography more and more interesting for you. For image capturing in the dark, this is probably the best camera at the moment as it can cover the ISO range from 80 to 3200.
Samsung WB350F comes with Wi-Fi and NFC connectivity features allowing you to instantly save your pictures to your cloud storage or to share them on your social media sites. It can record movies at 1080p. The package doesn’t include a memory card but it’s still a really handy camera to have under $200.
- Share your best photos instantly with Family and Friends with Built-in Wi-Fi with NFC
- SMART features - Social Media Upload, E-mail, Photo beam, Direct Link, Mobile Link, PC Auto-backup, Remote Viewfinder, All Share
- 21x Optical Zoom for great shots up front or from a distance
- 1080p HD Video
- microSD card required.
4. Nikon COOLPIX S7000 Digital Camera
Nikon has been an ever-reliable name in the camera industry. Some really cool and stylish Nikon cameras are available in the market and the COOLPIX S7000 is one of the prominent ones. It’s a 16 MP camera that offers 20x optical and stabilized zoom for high-quality results.
To add to the zooming capabilities, the dynamic fine zoom technology lets you double the zooming. Hence, you can effectively zoom up to 40 times which is by far the best on our list of the best camera under 200. Also, the autofocus lets you target important areas in the picture and you have a wide 3-inch LCD to view the camera results.
The camera can capture 1080p/60i movies with stereo sound. Also, it has built in Wi-Fi and NFC technology that lets you connect to your cloud storage and social media accounts instantly. Also, it is compatible with smartphones so you can also save images directly in your phone.
The base model of this camera may not lie in the $200 range but the certified refurbished model can be purchased for around $170 at Amazon.
- 20x optical zoom and 40x with Dynamic Fine Zoom, an enhanced digital zoom function that effectively doubles your reach
- Target Finding AF for accurate, intelligent autofocus
- Full HD 1080/60i videos with stereo sound
- 18 Scene Modes
- Built-in Wi-Fi and Near Field Communication technology allow you to wirelessly share photos to a compatible smartphone
5. Sony Cyber-shot DSC WX220
Sony has been another reliable name in the world of cameras. The Sony Cyber Shot DSC WX220 is one good example of bold and stylish camera designs from Sony. The camera has 18.2 MP resolution with a BIONZ processing engine that suppressed noise gives detailed results.
Zooming capabilities are quite amazing. It offers a 10x optical zoom as well as 20x digital zoom for clear and high-quality image results. It can record videos at 1920×1080 at 60 fps. It also features Wi-Fi connectivity as well as NFC 3 capture options. You can also sync the camera with your smartphone for instant image transfer.
For all the amazing features and technology, the camera has a compact size and it fits your purse or pocket easily. The complete kit with tripod stand, memory card, USB and other accessories will cost you just above $200 which is quite a reasonable price for such an amazing camera.
- BUNDLE INCLUDES: Sony Cyber-Shot WX220 Compact Digital Camera (Black), Sandisk Ultra SDHC 16GB 80MB/S Class 10 Flash Memory Card, and Focus Accessory Bundle for Small Point and Shoot Digital Cameras
- MODES AND EFFECTS: WIth Sweep Panorama function you simply press the shutter button and sweep the camera in the desired direction and the camera continuously shoots at a high speed, then seamlessly stitches the images together with automatic position adjustment to create one stunning panoramic image. Picture Effects gives you nine different effects such as partial color to make your focal point stand out, or watercolor which looks like a painting.
- ZOOM G LENS: Get close with 10x optical zoom plus 20x Clear Image digital zoom. Clear Image Zoom doubles optical zoom for closer photos.
- FEATURES: This pocket-sized Sony Cyber-Shot digital camera that features 10z zoom, 18.2 effective megapixels, and a BIONZ X image processor for the best clarity and colors.
- SONY AUTHORIZED DEALER: Includes USA Manufacturer Guarantee
Because there is a wide variety of features and the prices vary accordingly, you need to take special care while buying a camera online. There is so much to look at and it mainly depends on how you want to make use of your camera. Sometimes, people end up buying expensive cameras and their features often go unused because they just don’t know how to use them. However, in this section, we will take a look at some of the key aspects related to buying a camera.
First and foremost, you have to face the moment of truth. You should be the best judge of your requirements from the camera you wish to purchase. Here are a few points you should ponder upon. Be honest with yourself while answering these questions. Your level of expertise with digital cameras. Are you a beginner or a pro?
- Are you a professional photographer and do you have the expertise?
- What conditions do you wish to use your camera in? Will you use it for random pictures or will it be conditions such as rain, heat, wind etc.?
- Do you take pictures just for fun or if it’s bread and butter for you?
- If you keep your camera with you while traveling, what camera size can you accommodate?
- Will you require accessories such as Tripod Stands, extra lights, stabilizers etc. for assistance?
- What’s your budget? We shared the list of cameras under $200 but if you can either exceed the limit or if you want something cheaper, you should definitely take your budget into account beforehand.
What Else to Consider?
We will now take a look at some of the features you will generally find in all cameras. Many of these features and specs can be found in all the cameras that we have picked for you:
Some cameras come with incredible zooming power. You can literally view the craters on the moon from the ground. However, the cameras we have shared may not be as good with zooming but they are good enough to capture anything on earth. Particularly if you are a traveling fan, long zoom cameras allow you to capture footages on the move without any aberrations.
Weather and Water Proofing
Most cameras these days come with water and weather proofing. This allows you to capture images during rough and tough weather as well as under water. In the camera operating manual, it is normally mentioned how deep you can take your camera under water and also the shock proofing ability.
Picture and video quality mainly depend on the sensor. As a rule of thumb, the larger the sensor size, the better quality of pictures. Even if you’re an amateur photographer and particularly if you do it professionally, you should definitely consider sensor type and model while buying a camera.
Not all cameras offer lens interchangeability. However, it’s a really cool option to have. With interchangeability options, you can try a few things with different focal lengths. With a single camera, you can experiment more in terms of focus and results.
Autofocus is good, especially for video shoots. Most modern cameras will feature autofocus capabilities. You can also play around with this feature through buttons or touch input methods.
Modern cameras have button input as well as touch input available. However, you should know how you’re going to use the camera. If you don’t handle the camera gently, a button input camera is probably a better option.
If you’re a story maker and love to post stuff to your social media accounts, Wi-Fi connectivity options can be really handy for you. You can instantly connect and share videos and photos as well as share them through email. It’s particularly good for professional photography.
Accessories and Other Specs Other Features
Numerous other accessories can be added to make a complete photography kit for yourself. However, it only depends on your need and application. Here are a few suggestions:
Some cameras come with a built-in battery and you simply need to charge them from time to time. However, replaceable battery cameras allow you the luxury to keep as many spare batteries as you like. Especially while traveling, spare batteries are must-have accessories to keep it smooth all the time.
Extra Memory Card
Genuine memory cards rarely malfunction. However, where you’re spending so much on the camera, it won’t be a bad idea to buy one or two extra memory cards as well. In case you run out of memory and don’t have the luxury to transfer files, extra memory cards can save the day for you.
Reflectors are mainly for professional photographers. If you’re stepping into the world of photography, you might well by a few reflectors to capture quality portraits.
If you have a changeable lens camera, why not try different lenses. Try and experiment with different focal lengths to enhance your photography skills.
People often overlook tripod stands but they are quite a useful tool if you like capturing events and landscapes.
Of course, you need a carrying case to keep all these things intact. The case makes it easier to carry around everything.
These are probably all the accessories you need to buy for an enjoyable photography experience. Also, keep in mind that because cameras are so advanced these days, their size can be a little bigger than you might expect. Therefore, it is a good idea to go to a nearby store and just physically check how it feels to hold a camera that you might want to buy.
We’re pretty sure that you have enough understanding of a camera when you go out for buying one such unit. This buying guide could help you differentiate between a camera that you might have wanted to buy and the camera you’re now looking for. Even though the list of cameras we have shared, all lie within $200 range, it is still important that you put your money on the right features.
If you’re still confused as to which camera will suit your needs the best, simply pick one from our collection and we’re pretty sure that you won’t regret it.