Do the areas in your home where you access your internet more closely resemble a spider’s web with all the cables running everywhere? Maybe your incoming internet connection just makes your desk, countertop or tabletop look to cluttered?
Well things don’t have to be like that anymore because the best wireless modem and router combination can clean up those areas that are jumbled up with wires and cables very easily.
Just like there have been advances with the internet over the years so to have there been major advances with the equipment that distributes it to the different areas of your home. Many people do not take advantage of these new pieces of equipment and the benefits they bring to your overall internet experience.
Integrated cable modems with routers are more affordable than ever too. Their prices have dropped substantially over time as the popularity of using them has increased. A strategically placed wireless router/modem combination will not only free up cable clutter but it will also improve the internet reception in all areas of your home.
In this article we will discuss these handy internet distributing devices further and review some of the top models that are available to you.
Top 5 Wireless Modem and Router Products Comparison Chart
Best Wireless Modem and Router Reviews
1. Motorola 16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Modem, Wi-Fi Gigabit Router: Works with even the fastest internet speeds
Here is a very good all-around wireless router and modem product. Motorola is a proven name in communications equipment and this very good internet distributing tool shows why. It will greatly help simplify your internet hookup and also give the distribution of your internet signal a boost.
This is a router/modem combination that is completely wireless as far as the distribution of its outgoing internet signal. Although you can attach wires to its several exit ports in the back of it there is no need to do this thanks to its strong signal. It is an internet signal that can easily reach to the furthest corners of even the largest homes.
One of the best things about this wireless/router and modem combination is that it’s compatible with almost every major cable distributor’s signal. That means no more overpriced monthly cable modem rental costs.
This wireless router and modem model can also handle reception and transmission of even the fastest internet speeds available. Even the latest 686 Mbps speeds are no problem for this unit to distribute throughout your home or business.
The fact that it also has a signal powerboost built right into means this unit really does the job of three different pieces of internet equipment.
- 16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem plus a built-in AC1900 Dual Band (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) WiFi Gigabit Router with four Gigabit (GigE) Ethernet ports, a firewallDFS, Power Boost, and more. This product is recommended for actual cable Internet service speeds up to 375 Mbps. A Broadcom cable modem chipset provides security from Denial of Service attacks. WiFi performance is exceptionally good, even in multi-dwelling units with lots of WiFi noise from neighbors. DFS and Power Boost are key
- Requires cable Internet service. Approved by and for use with Comcast Xfinity and Xfinity X1, Cox, Charter Spectrum, Time Warner Cable, Suddenlink, WOW!, CableOne and other cable service providers. ELIMINATE CABLE MODEM RENTAL FEES UP TO 156 DOLLARS PER YEAR. (Savings are shown for Xfinity and vary by cable service provider. No cable modem is compatible with fiber optic, DSL, or satellite services from Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, Frontier, and others. Model MG7550 has no phone jack.)
- Built-in high-speed WiFi router with AC1900 WiFi, and Power Boost, and DFS provides Internet access for WiFi devices including smartphones, notebooks, tablets, game stations, HDTVs, Amazon Echo, Google Home, Chromecast, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, and AppleTV. Four 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports provide wired connections to Windows and Mac computers, HDTVs, game stations, streaming TV devices, and other Ethernet-capable devices.
- Wireless Power Boost adds high-performance WiFi power amplifiers to boost the wireless signals to the legal limit, giving a significant boost in speed and range. The router can work on WiFi DFS frequencies, unlike most routers, so it is much less vulnerable to WiFi interference from neighbors. In addition, AnyBeam beamforming at both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies focuses the signal on wireless clients to further enhance performance and range.
- Integrating the cable modem and router creates a reliable connection that reduces unwieldy wiring and power adapter clutter while conserving desk space. The vertical design minimizes shelf space and improves cooling while looking great in any home or office. A two-year warranty plus rugged lightning and power surge circuits protect your investment. Includes phone and web support by friendly, professional USA-based technical support specialists. Phone support is provided in English and Spanish.
2. Motorola 8x4 Cable Modem/Router with Power Boost: Strong Wi-Fi signal provided throughout your home
This is another very good wireless router and cable modem product from Motorola. It is very similar to the product that we were very impressed with in item #1. This unit has many of the same great features but has a few less wired exit ports if you choose not to use its wireless features.
The Motorola 8×4 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem will not only keep down wire clutter but it will also save shelf or table top space too. It has a sleek upright design which allows it to take up no more space on a shelf than a couple of books.
There is no more need to rent a modem from your cable company with this modem/router either because this unit is compatible with most cable providers. It can be used to distribute the internet signal provided by such companies as Comcast, Charter and Time Warner.
One of the premier features of this unit is the fact that it can boost the Wi-Fi signal strength throughout your entire house. That means less signal drop outs and a much more satisfying internet experience.
Most users claim this is a very easy modem and router to set up and get working.
- 8x4 DOCSIS 3.0 cable Modem Plus a built-in N450 single band (2.4 GHz) Wi-Fi Gigabit Router with four Gigabit (GigE) Ethernet ports, a firewall, and more. This product is recommended for DOCSIS 3.0 and 2.0 cable services. For DOCSIS 3.0 services, this modem provides actual Cable internet service speeds up to 145 Mbps. A Broadcom Cable Modem Chipset provides security from denial of service attacks.
- Requires cable internet service. Approved by and for use with Comcast Affinity and Xfinity x1, Cox, Charter spectrum, time Warner Cable, brighthouse, WOW!, Cable one, rcn, Mediacom and other cable service providers. Eliminate cable Modem rental fees up to 132 dollars per year. (Savings are shown for Affinity and vary by cable service provider. No cable Modem is compatible with fiber optic, DSL, or satellite services from Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, and others. Model MG7315 has no phone jack.)
- Built-in high-speed Wi-Fi router with N450 Wi-Fi and Power boost provides internet access for Wi-Fi devices including smartphones, notebooks, tablets, game stations, HDTVs, Amazon echo, Google home, Chromecast, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, and Apple TV. Four 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports provide wired connections to Windows and Mac computers, HDTVs, game stations, streaming TV devices, and other ethernet-capable devices.
- Wireless power boost adds high-performance Wi-Fi power amplifiers to boost the wireless signals to the legal limit, giving a significant Boost in speed and range. In addition, anybeam beamforming focuses the signal on wireless clients to further enhance performance and range.
- Integrating the cable Modem and router creates a more reliable connection that reduces unwieldy wiring and power adapter clutter while conserving desk space. The vertical design further minimizes shelf space, improves cooling, and extends product life while looking great in any home or office.
3. TP-LINK Archer Wireless Dual Band Cable Modem Router: Innovative and up to date modem/router technology
Archer has designed a very nice cable modem here with a convenient built in wireless router. They have made it easy to receive an internet signal and then distribute it throughout your home or business.
This modem has also been designed to handle the fastest internet speeds available. It features DOCSIS 3.0 technology which is the top download speed technology available currently. This Archer wireless modem/router can handle cable download speeds up to 680Mbps. That is over 10X faster than modems that use DOCSIS 2.0 technology.
Archer has designed the setup of this device to be very simple too. It is as close as you can get to a plug and play style modem. A few quick connections and a little guidance from the setup directions is all it takes get going. Within just a few minutes of taking it out of the box your modem should be up and running.
This modem/router combination from archer also has a sleek space saving design. It has a separate charger that comes with it that can be used to rapidly charge your cell phone, tablet or other smart device too.
The customer support you get with this company is very good. They are available to help you 24/7. This modem also comes complete with an industry leading 2 year warranty.
- Certified for XFINITY from Comcast,Time Warner, Cablevision, and Bright House(certification with Cox, Charter and WOW are still in process
- Class-leading 680Mbps DOCSIS 3.0 cable download speeds, 16x faster than DOCSIS 2.0
- High capacity of 10,400 mAh - charge your iPhone, iPad, Samsung Galaxy, Android Smartphones and Tablets 4-5 times.
- Portable design (3.5 x 1.7 x 1.7 inches) for your pocket or bag a rechargeable power capacity while on the go.
4. NETGEAR AC1750 (16x4) DOCSIS 3.0 WiFi Cable Modem Router: Provides safe, private and secure internet use
NETGEAR is a very big name when it comes to internet connectivity devices and this model modem with built in wireless router shows you why. It is very well-designed to say the least. Just about everything you could want in a wireless cable modem/router is included in this device.
This is a sleek space saving device that can handle even the fastest internet speeds. That is an absolute must when hooking up your homes Wi-Fi system to most cable internet providers.
One of the best things about this device is the protections that are built into this product. It will help provide you with safe and secure internet service. There are such features programmed into this modem/router as the ability to set parental controls and to create high security passwords.
You can even set up short term guest access codes to let them easily access your Wi-Fi network when visiting you.
This truly is a great internet connectivity device for many homes and businesses. It is the perfect cable modem with router for medium to large size homes. This product is even backed by a full one year limited warranty.
- FAST WiFi PERFORMANCE: Get up to 1500 square feet wireless coverage with AC1750 speed (Dual band up to 450 plus 1300 Mbps)
- RECOMMENDED FOR UP TO 25 DEVICES: Reliably stream videos, play games, surf the internet, and connect smart home devices
- WIRED ETHERNET PORTS: Plug in computers, game consoles, streaming players, and other nearby wired devices with 4 x 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports
- LOADED WITH ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: Designed with a 1GHz dual core processor, 3 amplified antennas, Beamforming plus, Dynamic QoS, Smart Connect, and more
- USB CONNECTIONS: Share a storage drive or printer with any connected device or create a personal cloud storage to access from anywhere, using the 1 x 3.0 USB port
5. ARRIS SURFboard SBG6400 Cable Modem/ Wi-Fi N Router: Affordable basic internet connectivity
If you don’t need 680Mbps internet speed and you like to keep things simple then this may be the perfect device for you. It is a combination wireless modem router that does a great job of taking care of all your basic internet needs. Best of all this modem/router from ARRIS can be had for an affordable price.
This device features three great products in one piece of equipment. You get the modem to receive your internet supplier’s signal, the router to deliver that signal throughout your residence and two gigabyte router ports that support high speed Ethernet cables.
This piece of internet connection equipment is not for everyone. Although this router can support internet speeds up to 380Mbps, it is best used to support internet speeds of 100Mbps or less. That is plenty enough speed for most ordinary internet users.
So if your internet connectivity needs are simple and just require a generous internet speed and you won’t be sharing your system with many others, then you will really want to check out this device.
- Approved on Comcast Xfinity, Spectrum (Charter, Time Warner, Brighthouse Networks), Cox, Mediacom, Suddenlink and most other US Cable Internet Providers. NOT compatible with Verizon, AT&T or Centurylink. REQUIRES Internet Service.
- Two-in-one 8x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem + N300 WiFi Router
- 8 Download Channels and 4 Upload Channels capable of up to 343 Mbps download and 131 upload speeds. Recommended for Internet Plans up to 100 Mbps.
- Wi-Fi Router is very basic 2.4 GHz only N300, not suitable for congested population areas. Can easily be disabled to use as a modem only and ADD a better WiFi Router if needed. 2 Gigabit Ethernet ports and USB 2.0 port.
- 2 year warranty with US based customer service.
How Do Routers and Cable Modems Work
You can pay for the most powerful internet signal in the world but it won’t do you any good if you don’t have the means to accept it and distribute it throughout your home or business. That is why it is so essential to have a good modem/router unit to do this task for you.
Here is a little bit more information on what roles integrated routers and cable modems provide as far as the distribution of internet in your home or office goes.
Cable Modem Feature
When you are using a computer or smart device you are creating and using information that is stored digitally. The incoming signal that comes from your cable provider and the outgoing signal that you send to the internet are done in analog form. Your modems basic function is to transform these analog and digital signals as they come in and out of the system
An important secondary function of your modem is to help secure your internet connection too.
Your internet signal has to reach your computers and smart devices somehow and that is the function of the router (hence the word ‘route’) in your integrated modem and router unit. A router also slightly changes your IP addresses on your devices to further enhance security and computer privacy.
Without a router you would not be able to use the wireless connections on your devices either. So they definitely play an important role in your home or business when it comes to internet connectivity.
Just in case you are still a little unclear about how modems and routers work we have attached a link to an informational YouTube video that explains their function in more detail:
How Does A Combination Cable Modem And Router Unit Benefit You?
Here are some of the major benefits you will get when using a combination cable modem and router as opposed to using separate devices.
- Installation is easier
- Takes up less space
- Less cabling to run
- Troubleshooting takes place in the same spot
- Connection is more stable and reliable
- Improves room aesthetics
Best Wireless Modem Buying Guide
Here are a few of the major points to consider when shopping for a new integrated cable modem and router:
There is a wide variety of pricing as far as combination cable modem/routers are concerned. The trick here is to not pay for more than you need. If you only live in a small apartment and have access to a 100Mbps speed connection tailor your shopping to that. You don’t need to spend big bucks on a device that can be used with up to 680Mbps internet speeds and has built in Wi-Fi signal boosters.
It is very important when shopping for a new integrated modem/router system that it be able to handle the internet connection speed you are paying for. So you must make sure the new device you are buying can handle your current internet speed. Ask your internet provider what that is if you don’t already know.
You can pretty much rest assured that as technology advances so will the available speeds for internet connections. We just mentioned you don’t want to overspend on equipment you don’t need but there is a fine line there too. So look at equipment that will allow you to expand your internet speed as it becomes available without buying a whole new modem/router setup.
The range of the integrated modem/router unit you will purchase is very important too. You usually do not have much to worry about in smaller homes and apartments with any device that you will purchase. Bigger homes and businesses are a completely different story.
If you own a large home or small business you need to make sure your new cable modem with router has the signal strength to cover all of it. You may want to look for a unit that has such features as a built in signal power booster. That way you stand a better chance of receiving a strong signal everywhere you go.
Customer Service Access
Very few people that have internet never need to speak to a modem/router manufacturer’s customer service representative. Make sure the manufacturer of the combined cable modem and router unit you purchase has good customer support. Preferably it will be 24/7 customer support that they do not charge you for using.
One of the main reasons people choose integrated cable modems with routers is to save space and unclutter the area around them. Look for a cable modem with router that has a sleek upright design that does not take up much space on a tabletop or shelf. There also is nothing that says your new device can’t compliment the looks of the room either. So consider the design of your new modem/router too before making your purchase.
Gigabyte router ports
When you are trying to use the internet signal in your home there are always things that stop that single from being as strong as it should be. This is especially true when using Wi-Fi. That is why many people with wireless routers still try and used the wired Ethernet ports on these devices.
Newer Ethernet cables are designed to carry higher internet speeds with very little dropout. The thing is you must have special ports on your wireless modem router to take advantage of this technology. If this interests you then make sure the router portion of this equipment has what is known as “gigabyte router ports”
Any time you buy a piece of equipment that is not a disposable item it’s nice to have a warranty with it. That just gives you the little extra peace-of-mind that you need to know you are making a sound purchase. Any consumer also is aware that no manufacturer can produce 100% quality devices every time. So protect yourself and get the longest and most comprehensive warranty possible with your new cable modem/router.
There truly is no easier where to connect your home to the internet than by using a combination cable modem and router. When we said we would review the top cable modem routers we meant it. Any one of the devices we reviewed here will do an excellent of providing internet connectivity in your home or small business.
We do feel that there was one product that stood out among all the rest of them though. That is the Motorola 16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Modem, Wi-Fi Gigabit Router. It is a top notch product when it comes to providing and internet signal where you need it most.
Why did we choose this specific combination cable modem and router? It checks all the boxes when it comes to performance and ease of use.
It sets up easy and takes up very little space on a desktop, shelf or countertop. Unlike some of the other modems on the list it can be used with even the highest internet speeds. It has built in gigabyte Ethernet ports and many other cable connections are available too. This model modem/router is major cable provider ready and unlike many other modems it even has built in signal boosting technology.
There really is a lot to like about the Motorola 16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Modem, Wi-Fi Gigabit Router. So be sure to check it out if you are looking to buy a new modem/router or upgrade to a better one.