When you invest in a pair of headphones, few things are worse than not hearing them, so to solve that problem we have created a list of the best wireless noise cancelling headphones. With these headphones, all you will hear is what you want to hear!
Noise cancelling headphones became a must have item when the iPod became a ubiquitous sight in the middle of the last decade. They solved a big problem, but in that solution another problem arose – how to find the best noise cancelling headphones so that your music is not drowned out by droning conversations – among other issues.
Fortunately, we have compiled reviews of the best noise cancelling headphones, this way all you have to do is match up what your headphone preference is, and get ready to rock out!
Why Should You Have Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones?
The biggest advantage of the wireless headphone is that you are no longer dealing with a wire dangling from your ears to your pocket. If you are a runner, how many times did that wire get in the way of your stride. What about if you are someone who does manual labor – I’m sure that wire has been stuck in something and the headphones were yanked out of your ears. Frankly, if we are living in a society where you can have wireless headphones, best to take advantage.
Noise cancelling is another great feature. Let’s not waste time getting all scientific, but instead get straight to the point. There are two types of noise cancelling – active and passive. Passive noise cancelling is for headphones that go over the ear and cover the entire ear. There is foam padding that is meant to absorb sound waves.
Active noise cancelling involved having a small microphone in the headset that emits sound to cancel out the other sound, this way all you can hear is what you want to hear. The active noise cancelling headphones are much smaller – they actually can be as simple as ear buds! Thanks to noise cancelling technology, listening to your music is easier than ever.
Top 5 Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones Comparison Chart
Best Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone Reviews
1. Maxtronic QY8
When reviewing headphones there are a number of considerations but ultimately a key component of a good set of headphones is versatility and durability. Bluetooth headphone manufacturers such as Maxtronic understand how this technology enables many advantages not offered by traditional wired headphones and furthermore expands what is available for the Bluetooth headphone user.
The average Bluetooth headphone user sees utility just as important as sound quality. This is why the QY8 – like every other Bluetooth ear bud headphone set has several options to ensure a comfortable fit, convenient storage, and easy connectivity.
As for the design, this is where the QY8’s utility is found. The strap that goes behind the neck is light and unobtrusive, unlike the neckband or DJ-style headphones you will forget you’re even wearing the headphones because there’s no flapping of a cord or over the head device to keep adjusting. The ear buds themselves are small and the different silicone covers allow you to get the best fit for your ear canal while the rotatable ear hooks ensure these ear buds will not fall out, instead comfortably remaining in your ear.
The sound quality is excellent. The bass is much more emphatic than one would expect out of such a small device! Furthermore, when you adjust the sound on your device, these ear buds will effectively convey the subtle tonal changes making your listening experience more authentic as you switch from one genre of music to another.
Where the sound really excels is the volume adjustment panel on the ear buds themselves. The noise cancelling effect allows you to be immersed in your device and it’s scary how the outside world disappears as you get engrossed in your music and/or podcast options. These headphones are perfect for commuters who ride city buses or light rail – no more having to jack up the volume just so you drown out the loud conversation of the couple next to you.
If you are not the discerning type when it comes to sound quality, there are a few key features you should note about the QY8. The first is the myriad of options with the ear hooks and the silicone ear bud covers. Finding the right fit for your ear has never been easier and the best part is you never have to worry about the ear buds slipping out and having to re-insert them.
Connecting via Bluetooth is easy enough, and the QY8 has a 6-hour battery life but 5 hours for calls. There is a volume adjustment on one of the ear buds and it’s very easy to set the right volume in conjunction with your device.
If I’m going to be picky, the one drawback is the charging feature. There is a silicone micro-USB cover and if you lose the little tool it becomes irritating to remove the cover to charge the ear phones. That being said, this is easy to MacGyver. A paperclip, staple, needle, or any similar object will easily pop this cover open, but there’s something to be said for having the ability to easily open the cover with your fingernail. Alas, I’m being picky though.
- Bluetooth 4.1 Technology, easy and fast pairing with smartphones, tablets and other Bluetooth enabled music devices, aptX codec provides pure, CD-like high quality sound for compatible devices, Mini Lightweight Sweatproof Stereo Bass Wireless Bluetooth Earbuds Headset Earphones for iPhone 6/6s plus Galaxy S6 S5 and Android Phones
- Long Battery Life: Built-in high performance polymer 80mAh battery, 3.5 hours talking/playing time, and about 120 hours standby time
- Powerful Rechargeable Battery: Built-in polymer lithium battery(80mAh), up to 160 hrs of stand-by, up to 8 hrs of talk time, up to 5 hrs of listing time and 2 hrs charging time. Good noise isolation to create the optimal environment for listening to your favorite tunes, built-in microphone with noise cancellation for clear calling and friends chatting
- Simple-To-Use: control all functions of your music (volume, sound, song selection) and calls from your phone via our simple-to-use user interface on the headphones themselves
- Equipped with Bluetooth 4.1 + EDR APT-X audio decode technology, offering you perfect stereo sound. And it can connect with 2 cell phones or tablets at the same time
Every industry has products that can be best described as “follow the leader” type of products. In the case of technology, Apple is the notable company that everyone seeks to follow. Because their designs merge function and form, Apple products are often imitated but never duplicated.
In the case of EGRD’s Bluetooth headphones, this is precisely the case. In fact, despite being Amazon’s #1 Best Seller in the Portable Headset Radios category, these headphones are best described as the cheap version of Apple’s Airpods.
The difference? The EGRD has a strap connecting both ear buds while the Airpods are famously strapless. There are benefits and drawbacks to each design, but the bottom line is EGRD is wisely marketing to people who want to have Apple style but do not wish to spend roughly $265 on headphones when they could have pretty much the exact same product (minus a couple quirks) for just 10% of Apple’s price.
This guide makes no presumption of people’s tastes, but in the case of the EGRD it’s important to note the functionality of these headphones. The sound quality is enhanced through the noise cancelling features and the clarity of these headphones is what you’d expect for their price. They are not too bassy, but if your phone isn’t an iPhone, you may have some leveling issues. Ultimately, they don’t have the same sound quality as the Airpods.
The other big feature is the Siri compatibility. Again, these headphones are nakedly Apple headphones without the price tag. The control panel allows you to skip to the next song, raise and lower volume, and also take phone calls. Here’s where imitating Apple is extremely helpful – most Apple users are not fans of how the Airpods lack this feature!
There are many benefits and drawbacks of imitating Apple products, but the most apparent is the design of these headphones. Designed to look like the Airpods, they have the exact shape for your ear. Because it’s a solid design, your ear may have them fit perfectly, or they could constantly fall out. For some people, this doesn’t matter. For me, this is an OCD nightmare.
As for the strap connecting the headphones, this is an improvement on the Airpods because it reduces the chance you could lose an ear bud. The control panel is very helpful as described above and EGRD boasts of being water resistant. The charging port is easily accessible and USB friendly (another improvement upon the Apple design).
3. Syllable Wireless Ear Buds
Similar to the EGRD, Syllable has come out with an Apple-style design except unlike EGRD they didn’t blatantly rip off Apple with a few twists to prevent a lawsuit (Are you taking notes Samsung?). These ear buds are small and designed to fit snugly in your ear while you engage in a variety of activities including intense exercises such as weight training and distance running.
There are many interesting features, and when you look at the Amazon page it’s clear that while Apple inspired these ear buds that’s the extent of their influence. The portable charging case is a fantastic take off on the Airpods system – except this case is more stable and depending on your tastes, better looking. The two-hour battery life though does leave something to be desired.
Syllable is really excited about their noise cancelling technology and this is achieved in a couple ways. The first is the actual engineering of the ear buds. The system itself does a great job cancelling out noise but Syllable also has ear buds that are designed to fit in your ear and not fall out. This is an unequivocal improvement upon the Airpods – Apple apparently believes all ear canals are the same size on all people.
The noise cancelling technology also gives way to a sharp sound. Whether you’re running or simply idling time away by the pool, these headphones provide the perfect environment to get lost in your music and/or podcasts. They have a good range and though Syllable is quick to advertise how they work with all Apple products, if you have Bluetooth you’ll be satisfied regardless.
As mentioned, the charging box is a critical component. The box itself is mobile and supports up to 6 charges before it needs to be connected to power. It’s important to charge the box prior to going about your day because the ear buds only support two hours of charge. This means if you’re running a marathon these ear buds aren’t for you.
Also, these ear buds have no functionality with your phone. While the EGRD’s work well with your iPhone, you’ll just have to settle with removing an ear bud to take a call. That brings up another point – these things are SMALL. If you lose one, good luck. This is a case where Syllable may have imitated the wrong part of the Apple design.
- BLUETOOTH 4.2 TECHNOLOGY: Supports two connected devices simultaneously and allows to automatically connecting after paired successfully for the first time
- LONG-LASTING USAGE & LIGHTWEIGHT DESIGN: Long lasting talk time / music time (Playtime varies according to volume level and audio content); 120 hours standby time and 1-2 hours charging time; Super Light Weight Design take you will feel nothing for gym and workout
- COMFORTABLE AND SECURE MAGNETIC DESIGN: These Noise Canceling earbuds include S/M/L ear tips and two types of different ear hooks to ensure a comfortable and secure fit for everyone. With specially designed ear hooks, you will never worry about the ear buds falling off in a gym or workout again. It is also let you attach the two headphones together with built-in magnet inside when not using, and wear like a necklace around your neck, a convenient way to carry around when you don't need them
- IPX4-RATED SWEAT RESISTANT: Built for your active lifestyle, the earbuds are rated IPX Level 4 and can withstand dripping sweat; Ergonomic design optimized for ultimate wearing comfort to match your active lifestyle like running, jogging, cycling, driving, camping, hiking gym exercise and other outdoor sports
- HD STEREO & NOISE CANCELLATION: Adopted CVC Version 6.0 NOISE CANCELLATION technology, guarantees HD stereo sound quality and provides steady Bluetooth signal and provides steady Bluetooth signal and support stereo loss less music. The Headphones are compatible with most cell phones, iPhone and Android
4. Cowin E-7
The over-the-ear style of headphones was once the domain of the serious musician and the DJ. Regular folks did not walk around with the cans – it just didn’t happen. Back in the day they were necessary to listen to records but with the advent of the Walkman the small version of the over-the-ear headphone and the ear bud took precedence.
Then Dr. Dre happened. Beats By Dre introduced a new music enthusiast to this style of headphone and the noise cancellation offered with these headphones thanks to the coverage of the whole ear revolutionized the game. Beats of course is a billion dollar company, but Cowin used Beats as their inspiration to create headphones that serve the entertainment professional and the regular guy who needs headphones with the same high level of satisfaction.
In terms of value, basically the Cowin delivers everything Beats does but without the brand. The first part to evaluate is sound quality. Cowin provides exceptional sound quality that other headphones envy. The sound provides a full spectrum and ensures an incredible listening experience. Music just doesn’t sound the same after using these headphones.
The noise cancellation feature is excellent as well – and it can be turned off! For DJs, the noise cancellation is an essential feature but if you’re travelling on the bus or subway, the noise cancellation is a great way to avoid conversations and blowing out your ear drums because you need to jack up the sound to avoid the squealing of the rails.
Perhaps the best feature of the Cowin is the ability to use both Bluetooth and the corded feature. This guarantees you’ll always have access to your music. You get 30 hours of playtime in Bluetooth mode so don’t lose the cord even though it seems like you’ll never need it! The protein ear pads guarantee unmatched comfort and even swivel 90 degrees.
Other features include a volume button on the side allowing you control of your phone along with other headphone features. The on-board mic is unbelievably clear and helps with all your calls. A carrying case is included as well, so you never worry about storage.
- Professional Active Noise Cancelling Technology. Significant noise reduction for travel, work and anywhere in between. Advanced active noise reduction technology quells airplane cabin noise, city traffic or a busy office, makes you focus on what you want to hear,enjoy your music, movies and videos. The noise cancellation function can work well both in wire and wireless mode.
- Proprietary 40mm Large-aperture Drivers. Deep, accurate bass response. The Active Noise Cancelling around-ear headphones from COWIN give you crisp, powerful sound and quiet that helps you enjoy your music better. The goal that provide Customers with better sound quality, is our constant pursuit.
- High-quality Built-in Microphone and NFC Technology. COWIN E7 provides high-quality built-in microphone for hands-free calls, Which is convenient for you to free yourself from wires. NFC pairing aided by voice prompts, promises quick and stable connection with your Bluetooth enabled devices, Powerful Bluetooth Function.
- The Professional Protein Earpad and 90° Swiveling Earcups. More durability and comfort, Enjoy high-quality, Long-listen comfort. Skin texture, lightweight comfortable around-ear fit you can wear all day long. Gentle Reminder: please take off the headphone every 2-3 hrs to get your ears relax, in order to get better hearing enjoyment, and keep the head comfortable.
- 30 Hours Playtime Per Charge at Bluetooth Mode. A built-in 600mAh battery won't allow your headphones power off, you can enjoy your world without noise for 30 hours' long time. Don't need to worry the power shortage problem on the long travel. 18-month warranty and quick response & friendly customer service. Note: The exclusive authorized seller is COWIN.
5. MPOW Jaws V4.1
One of the worst parts about owning headphones is the constant tangling of wires or in the case of Bluetooth headphones, how they can get lost because they’re small and the strap isn’t that big – and if you have the Airpods style, when those get lost, YIKES! Fortunately, the MPOW Jaws not only has a solid device that fits around your neck, but has a magnet as well so unless the ear buds are in use, they literally can’t go anywhere.
Unfortunately, for all the problems the solid storage solves, it creates just as many. For lots of people, this just isn’t as comfortable on your neck the way the strap or lack of a strap is. Furthermore, part of the reason you have Bluetooth headphones is to lose the nonsense that is cords and other things that feel like they restrict your movement.
In that case let’s talk sound. MPOW does a fantastic job delivering exceptional sound in such a small speaker. They have a number of Bluetooth devices and if you’re looking for Bluetooth headphones you can do much worse than MPOW. These headphones have good clarity, and do well to transmit the sound regardless of whether you’re paired with an iPhone or Android.
Adding to the experience is the clarity on phone calls. The built-in microphone means that people talking to you will always be able to hear you because the microphone in the perfect location. There’s a lot to like about these headphones if you’re into the around the neck design.
MPOW does a great job integrating the phone features to the headphones. On the storage device worn around your neck, taking calls and using your phone in a hands-free setting is exceptionally easy and intuitive. It takes seconds to learn and the speaker function means you can use it as a hands-free device for driving.
The magnet is great for keeping the ear buds in one place. As for the storage device, you won’t lose it because of its construction. The battery life is nearly 13 hours, so charging it overnight means that you’ll have the whole day to use it extensively.
- Convenient shark-like magnet and please Note: the built-in magnet attracts the earplugs when you don't need them, greatly decreasing the burden on ears and giving you a convenient storage way to carry around. Note: to protect the earbud cable from the damage of pulling force, please pinch the earplugs instead of the cables when pulling earplugs out of the shark-like magnet which can guarantee the lifespan of earbuds by using it in the right way
- NOISE CANCELLING MICROPHONE: Featured with CVC6.0 noise cancelling technology, our headphone filters out background noise to guarantee high quality sound and provides you clearer voice for calls.
- Bluetooth 4.1 technology: provides a several-second and stable paring with your Bluetooth enabled device. Offering you impressive dynamic sound even you are 10 meters away from your Device
- Flexible & Lightweight: weighs only 1.2 oz in flexible and durable silicone neckband, 60% lighter than any other neckband headset, you’ll even Forget you have them on
- ULTRA LONG WORKING TIME: Powerful rechargeable battery provides up to 13 hours of continuous talking/music time and 350 hours of standby with a single charge. WARRANTY: Every Mpow product has 2 Years Warranty and 45 Days Money Back Guarantee!
When considering getting a pair of the best noise cancelling headphones, make sure that you spend your time truly evaluation how you plan to use them. All of these headphones provide exceptional sound and their noise-cancelling functions are unbelievable. However, if you buy headphones that don’t align with your lifestyle you will either never use them or use them incorrectly. These reviews provide a clear guide on when and how to use your headphones.