AT A GLANCE: QUICK RATINGS
Where To Get Classic
A Deep Dive Into Samsung Gear S3
Fitness Features: Heart Rate tracking, GPS built-in, sleep tracking,
Ease of Use: Easy bezel interface
Battery Life: Up to four Days
Display Clarity: The 360 x 360 pixel AMOLED touchscreen with a pixel density sharpness 392 ppi
Waterproof: IP certified IP68
The Samsung Gear S3 came out in 2016 in two basic models, the frontier and the classic design.
The interface and hardware were the same but the classic looks more like a watch and the Frontier like a sports watch. Both have a circular, rotating, bezel interface, which helps to easily access your apps and notifications, are waterproof and can track your fitness.
They are compatible with select Bluetooth capable smartphones using Android OS 4.4+ or with at least 1.5GB Ram and iPhone 5 and up, system iOS 9.0+. The watch does have GPS and sleep tracking.
All said, if you are looking for a smartwatch that can help you improve your fitness and has a lot of other great features, this may be the watch for you.
If you do not live in the US, there is an international version. This smartwatch was released in November 2016.
Who Is It For?
The essential key difference between the two Samsung Gear S3 watches is their outer look. You can change the watch face with built-in options or buy almost anything you might want. You can change the bands easily to make it more you.
Let's face it, most smartwatches supporting fitness tracking, Bluetooth, and Wifi so far are not lightweight.
The Samsung Gear S3 Frontier or Classic watches are designed to be unisex, however this is really a watch for a someone big and strong, who has large wrists even though they add a smaller strap in the box.
If you are a woman who fits that description go check it out. (I am only 150cm barely, less than 51 kilos, and although I am strong, personally I think this watch is too bulky for me).
The Samsung Gear S3 Frontier looks more masculine, rugged and outdoorsy. It’s durable grade It has a black face and comes with a black strap.
The Samsung Gear S3 Classic looks more like a luxury watch. It comes with a silver face and black strap that can be changed to an all metal, black band that looks really nice if that's your taste.
Both devices are dust and water resistant.
Spending an extra few dollars for a Omoton Tempered glass protector for the watch face might be worth it.
It is an ideal watch if you are a Samsung Galaxy owner, and it’s compatible with many other smartphones.
With its LTE, GPS, Heart rate monitor, WiFi, and voice control it has all the whistles and bells for an untethered experience. You can basically leave your smartphone at home when you are out running or hitting the gym.
What Does It Come With;
When you open the box you get a watch on a charging dock, Samsung power cable, user manual and a second smaller strap.
- Longer Battery Life. Samsung upgraded the battery from their S2 model so expect a 4-day battery life depending on usage
- Samsung Gear S3 looks good — you can make the face yours and has an easy touch screen
- The Samsung Gear S3 Classic looks more like an actual watch, less like an activity tracker or square smartwatch, but don’t let that fool you: it is sturdy and strong and you can do some serious working out with it.
- The straps are made out of good material that lasts. You can also purchase and buy new bands to replace if you want to change the look.
- Lots of apps, sleep tracking and waterproof
- Durability, resistant to extreme temperatures, water, and being dropped
- Both models do not support SIM cards to be inserted and make calls, however, they can pair with your smartphone via Bluetooth or WiFi to make calls. That is an upgrade from the Samsung Gear S2.
- There are those who feel there is not enough third party app support
- The cost is on the pricey side but there are deals around
- Some feel the Samsung Gear S3 is designed for larger wristed people and that it is heavy.
Main Features and Functions
- Samsung Gear S3 can interchange with Android and iOS systems with a Tizen operating system
- Bluetooth connection to headphones.
- You can control your music from your watch.
- Interfaces with Google Calendar so you can see your day to day schedule.
- Checks weather, has a calculator and can track your sleep
- is IP68 Waterproof
- NFC so you are able to pay bills from your smartwatch if you have Samsung Pay
- Circular flat bezel design. Watch face is 1.3 inches
- Light, Accelerometer, gyro
- sleep tracking
- Display Clarity: The 360 x 360 pixel AMOLED touchscreen has a pixel density sharpness 392 pp
- The watch face measures 46 x 49 millimeters (1.8 x 1.9 inches), and the watch face itself weighs 2.2 ounces, almost twice as heavy as the 0.99-ounce Apple Watch Series 2.(which is more expensive).
A nice feature is it has the ability of keeping your training on track by praising you when you have reached a goal.
Would You Recommend this?
Depending on your taste, definitely! If you like the look of a luxury watch, then yes consider purchasing the Samsung Gear S3 Classic .
If you like something sporty check out the Samsung Gear S3 Frontier. If you are interested in a smartwatch with Fitness tracking ability and a lot more, and in the mid price range, the Samsung Gear S3 Frontier and Classic models are a very good choice.
Since Samsung Gear S3 was released, Samsung has come out with two other watches the Samsung Galaxy Watch and the Samsung Galaxy Watch Active.
The latter may be a better option for someone looking for a smaller sporty smartwatch.