Best Comcast Modem – 2018 Reviews and Top Picks
The Best In Tech may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
The modem may seem quite an intimidating device on the first look, especially if you are thinking of buying and setting one up yourself. Hence, many of us simply trust our internet service providers to give us the connection we need, at the least of the hassle.
But honestly, just a little information about the types and general specifications of the modem will help you get the job done right yourself. These modems can, in fact, recover their costs in just about six months! Talk about all the rentals you can save up!
Confused about which model to get? Check out these latest modems with excellent speed and reliable connectivity.
At a Glance: Our Choices for the Best Comcast Modem
No need to pay that monthly rental every month anymore. The TP-LINK DOCSIS 3.0 High-Speed Cable Modem Certified for XFINITY, Time Warner (TC-7610) is ISP certified and gives you a high-speed connectivity of 150Mbps. With up to 8 downstream and 4 upstream channels, you get the reliable performance 24/7. The modem comes at quite an attractive price and is compatible with Cox, Spectrum, Suddenlink, Wow and other ISPs.
If you have the need for speed, you must take a look at the Motorola 16x4 Cable Modem, Model MB7420, 686 Mbps DOCSIS 3.0! With a super speed of 686Mbps, downloading songs, videos and uploading your videos is super easy and super quick. The set up also comes with a Quick Start guide for complete support and guidelines for easy installation.
Be it live streaming, shopping, or downloading, the ARRIS SURFboard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem would certainly never let you down. At an affordable price, the modem boasts of its high-speed performance and that makes it a great choice for sharing your photos, videos, streaming, and browsing. Very easy to install as well, the modem is stylish and does not take up much desk space.
Enjoy online gaming and web surfing to the extreme with the NETGEAR CM500-1AZNAS (16x4) DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem. Compatible with various Service providers like Xfinity, Cox, and others, it can support about 200 Mbps of speed. There’s also the Ethernet port for easy connectivity with the other devices.
Last but not the least, the Linksys DOCSIS 3.0 8x4 Cable Modem is one refurbished modem, but can support up to 100 Mbps of high-speed networking. The modem is best for simple browsing as well as video streaming. Also, it is certified for the DOCSIS 3.0.
Top 5 Best Comcast Modems Comparison Chart
Best Comcast Modem Reviews
1. TP-LINK DOCSIS 3.0 High-Speed Cable Modem Certified for XFINITY, Time Warner (TC-7610)
Get the reliable internet connectivity right at home with the TP-Link TC-7610. No need to talk to the annoying internet service providers anymore. The modem can be easily installed and set up immediately for use.
Enjoy high-speed internet round the clock at 150Mbps, with 8 downstream and 4 upstream channels. Upload as many Instagram selfies as you want and download movies all day! If you have the DOCSIS 1.0, 1.1 or 2.0, no worries! The device is equally compatible with all!
Just make sure to reset the ID and password, to keep your connection safe from unauthorized use.
In case the device ever malfunctions, you have a complete 2-year manufacturer’s warranty and friendly technical support staff to help you and take away all your worries. The device is quite futuristic, and completely supports the IPv4 as well as IPv6.
- ELIMINATE YOUR CABLE MODEM MONTHLY RENTAL FEE
- CABLE MODEM ONLY - You will also need a router to enable Wi-Fi
- ISP CERTIFIED - Great for Cable Internet plans up to 150Mbps with XFINITY from Comcast, Spectrum (Including Charter, Time Warner Cable, and Bright House Networks), Cox, Suddenlink, Mediacom, and WOW
- FASTER DOWNLOADS - Channel bonding of up to 8 downstream and 4 upstream channels, provide data rates up to 343Mbps for download and 143Mbps for upload
- INDUSTRY STANDARD - DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem provides 8X faster download speed than DOCSIS 2.0 for an ultra-fast performance
2. Motorola 16x4 Cable Modem, Model MB7420, 686 Mbps DOCSIS 3.0
Feel the thrill with the Motorola MB7420. A high-speed and reliable modem that is about sixteen times faster than the DOCSIS 2.0.
The quick start guide included in the package makes setting up a breeze. Still worried about not getting it right? Motorola has the professional specialists at the back end for the complete support. If you want to install it at the office or simply have a house-full of devices that need round the clock internet support, there’s the Ethernet port!
Simply connect it to your computer, router or other supportive devices and enjoy internet connectivity all day long. The compact device, barely takes up any space on your desk or counter, wherever you wish to place it. This also makes it less-prone to overheating and gives it a longer life as compared to the other modem devices.
A premium, quality built modem that gives you a high-performance, thanks to the digital tuner. That also gives it an edge over the other competitors. The stylish exterior goes well with your décor. Plus, you can also choose from the black or white color options. If it couldn’t get any better, you also get a two-year manufacturer’s warranty with the device.
- This 16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem provides speeds up to 686 Mbps, sixteen times faster than DOCSIS 2.0. A Full-Band Capture digital tuner ensures a faster, more reliable Internet.
- Cable modem's Ethernet port connects to a computer, HDTV, game station, or wireless router. (This Model MB7420 cable modem does NOT have a built-in wireless router and does NOT have a telephone adapter or phone jack. The Motorola MG7310, MG7315, MG7540 and MG7550 have a built-in wireless router.)
- Requires cable Internet service. Certified by Comcast XFINITY for residential speeds up to Extreme 300, by Comcast Business for speeds up to Deluxe 250, Time Warner Cable, Cox, Charter Spectrum, BrightHouse, and other leading cable service providers for modem ownership programs that typically save rental charges of $120 or more per year
- Setup is fast and easy with a few quick steps set out in a Quick Start guide. Experienced USA-based customer support specialists are there to help if you need them.
- Attractive, compact design minimizes shelf space, improves cooling, and extends product life while looking great in any home or office. A two-year warranty plus rugged lightning and power surge circuits protect your investment.
3. ARRIS SURFboard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
One affordable choice, that gives you a great performance and the speed you need for streaming, downloading, uploading and networking. Compatible with Cox, Comcast Xfinity, Charter and many other ISPs, it also supports the IPv6.
Take a leap ahead and enjoy surfing straight away just moments after easy installation of the modem. The Surfboard is a simple plug and play modem you can install it within seconds yourself! The indicator lights tell you all you need to know about your internet connection and the device.
With the DOCSIS 3.0, it gives you a downloading speed of 343 Mbps and an uploading speed of 131 Mbps. The modem is compatible with almost all of the top ranked internet service providers all over the U.S.A.
With a two-year warranty and a 30-day refund policy, it is quite a safe bargain. In case of any issues with the device, you can always call up the technical support. All-in-all, an excellent choice for high-speed browsing and network connectivity.
- Approved on Comcast Xfinity, Spectrum (Charter, Time Warner, Brighthouse Networks), Cox, Mediacom, Suddenlink and most other US Cable Internet Providers. NOT compatible with Verizon, AT&T or Centurylink. REQUIRES Internet Service
- Wired modem only. Does not include WiFi router or VOIP Telephone adapter. Gigabit Etherent port to connect to PC or Router. Supports IPv4 and IPv6. Operating System Compatibility-Linux,Mac,Unix,Windows
- 8 Download Channels and 4 Upload Channels capable of up to 343 Mbps download and 131 upload speeds. Recommended for Internet Plans up to 100 Mbps
- Brown Box Models Not Valid for this Item when Sold As New, should Report to Amazon Immediately and Return to Seller.8 download and 4 upload channels
- 2 year warranty with US based customer service. Refer to the Quick Start Guide and Installation video
4. NETGEAR CM500-1AZNAS (16x4) DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
Enjoy up to 8 times stronger speed and performance from the DOCSIS 2.0. The Netgear CM500 is the best for online gaming, browsing, downloading. Get up to 686 Mbps high speed with Comcast Xfinity, Cox, and various other Service providers.
If you have a limited budget, then this is the best device you can get. The indicator lights are quite dim, and hence do not cause a visual disturbance during the day or even at night.
Setting it up? Super easy, and fast! The reliable performance and fast connection make it a great choice for the home. In case of any problem with the installation, just go through the Quick Install Guide. The NetGear CM500 has a sleek and vertical profile that makes it look great and also, makes it a great choice for taking up the minimal desk space.
- COMPATIBLE WITH ALL MAJOR CABLE INTERNET PROVIDERS: Including certification by Xfinity by Comcast, COX, and Spectrum. NOT compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and any bundled voice service.
- SAVE MONTHLY RENTAL FEES: Model CM500 replaces your cable modem saving you up to $150/yr in equipment rental fees.
- BUILT FOR FAST SPEED: Best for cable provider plans up to 300 Mbps speed.
- WORKS WITH ANY WiFi ROUTER: Connect any WiFi router to this modem's ethernet port to support all your wireless devices.
- ETHERNET CONNECTIONS: 1 Gigabit Ethernet port connects to your computer or separate WiFi router.
5. Linksys DOCSIS 3.0 8x4 Cable Modem
The Linksys DOCSIS 3.0 is refurbished but gives you the quality service at the best price. It comes with a 90-day warranty and support, to keep you covered in case anything goes wrong.
The latest, futuristic device with Wi-Fi connectivity, it can match about all service providers that provide a speed of up to 100 Mbps. Enjoy uninterrupted, reliable and fast speed with 8 channels for downloading and 4 for uploading your videos, photos, and other important documents.
Plus, the device comes with the Intel Puma 5 chipset that further enables it to work at the top performance to give you high-speed uploading and downloading. There’s also the Ethernet port for easy connectivity with the other devices.
The modem comes with the certification of all major service providers such as Charter, Cablevision, Time Warner Cable, etc. Installation is simple and just plug-and-play.
- Compatible with Comcast Xfinity, Time Warner Cable, Charter, Cox, Cablevision, and more. Requires Cable Internet Service
- Not compatible with: Verizon, AT&T, or CenturyLink
- Cable Modem only (no WiFi router)
- Features Intel Puma 5 chipset to achieve high-speed downstream and upstream performance
- 8 download and 4 upload bonded DOCSIS channels give you the most out of your existing cable broadband connection
While the small device may seem a rather complicated, just don’t fret! A simple knowledge and understanding of a few of the constituents and the specs can help you look for the right modem. Here we have listed some of the essential specifications you need to be aware of to make the best choice:
Perhaps the very first thing you need to consider is the compatibility. Even the world’s best modem is no good if it is not compatible with your ISP. So, before bringing that modem home, take a look at the approved lists of the ISP modems. You can easily view the lists at either of these websites:
- Wow way
For the best performance, the DOCSIS 3.0 is the best choice. This usually gives you a downloading speed of 340 Mbps and an uploading speed of 130 Mbps. You will often find the premium modems will give you a much higher performance and faster speed.
When looking for the best modem, you must consider the speed of your current service provider and try to go for a higher speed than the current Mbps you are getting.
But, don’t fall for the models that boast high speed only. Make sure whatever you get is compatible with your internet service plan. If you are considering a modem with a higher speed than your service plan, you will still get the same speed as you have agreed to with your service provider.
One of the most common causes of malfunctioning of modems is overheating. These small devices tend to heat up, fast. Some of the modems may even cross over 100 degrees Fahrenheit when in use! Just make sure to thoroughly read the reviews and go through the details of the modem before making your final selection.
Here are also some other tips to keep your device from overheating:
- How to Keep your Device Safe from Overheating?
- Make sure to keep the device in a ventilated area.You can also buy a separate cooling mat for placing your modem.
- Avoid falling for the cheaper brands and models. They have a higher chance of getting overheated.
- Don’t keep anything on top of the modem.
- You can also disable the services you do not need from the modem. This way it will generate less heat.
- Take special care during the extremely hot weather, and make sure to give your modem a break at least once in 24 hours.
- Do not keep the modem in an area directly exposed to the sun.
- Do not keep the router on leather or other heat receptive materials.
- Do not keep it switched on through the night. Power off when not being used, especially if you are leaving your house.
Usually, you will get a one-year or two-year warranty with these modems. Although it is not common for the modems to malfunction or stop working, the warranty keeps you safe if any of these issues arise later.
The best companies give you a replacement or refund ASAP and hence, your money is always safe.
The Number of Channels
Next, check for the number of channels the modem is most probably going to be able to access. You will need these channels for uploading as well as downloading. Now how to check for these channels? Simple, just take a minute to read up the box or general specifications. You will find the number written something like 00×0.
The key is, the more the number of channels, the greater the speed. However, there’s a catch; you need to make sure that the number of channels supported by the modem and the number provided by your ISP match!
Which Modem to Buy?
The question remains, which Comcast modem should you get?
Speed: Well, the minimum you can ask for is that it should at least have a greater speed than the connection you have at present.
Price: Make sure that whatever you are buying is within your budget. You will find lots of cheaper models that promise the same high performance and speed, however, fail to deliver. So it is recommended to go for the strong brands and the models that come with a good rating.
Capability: It is always the best to go for a modem that is most capable and can keep up with the latest upgrades and speed.
If you compare the costs of paying rentals every month for the internet service, versus buying a modem yourself, the never ending costs of the rental for the internet service over-weigh the one-time expense of buying the modem.
The latest and newest models are really simple to set up; so, why depend on your service provider? Get your own modem and make the best use of the high-speed browsing and much more, without any worry. No need to pay those upsetting bills and rentals every month; get your modem today and start saving!