We often think that a high end LED TV would quench our thirst for super-sized movie theater experience in the home. But as a matter of fact, large TVs are an excellent source of entertainment for watching a movie in high definition but for an original film like experience; you have to take the side of home theater projectors. The crucial advantage of a projector is that you can watch your movie at a great size which often measures up to 300 inches. However, you need to have a dark room or a place with a low amount of light so that you can watch your movie with crystal clear clarity.
Related Article: Best Projectors for Outdoor Movies – A Complete Buying Guide
It is exciting, right? I know! Anyway, let’s see the top 5 cheap home theater projectors of 2019:
|1. BenQ HT3050 HD 1080p 3D||Check Price|
|RUNNER UP||2. RIF6 CUBE Pico Video Projector||Check Price|
|3. Epson EX7240 Pro WXGA 3LCD Projector Pro (Wireless)||Check Price|
|4. Nebula Mars Portable Home Theater Projector||Check Price|
|5. OCDAY Home Cinema Theater Projector||Check Price|
Now you must be thinking which home theater projector will be ideal for your need and meet all the demands. There are a lot of potential projectors in the market to choose from, and there is a probability that you might get juxtaposed with a similar type of features. Features like brightness, resolution, contrast ratio, color output, lamp hour, ports and various other characteristics differ one projector from the others. It is apparent that you would look for the best home theater projector that can save some money, but you will be still get mystified by the large list on the internet.
To help you in the process, we have thoroughly scrutinized the various type of projectors in the market and ultimately chalked out five contenders for the best home theater projector for the money tag. Our two picks are not restricted to just indoor or outdoor movies, but you can also utilize them for gaming purpose. They possess all the necessary qualities and attributes which makes them worth every penny you spend on them.
Now, the exciting part:
Top 5 Cheapest Home Theater Projectors in 2019 with Reviews
1. BenQ HT3050 HD 1080p 3D – A Perfect Home Projector
What We Liked Most About This Product Another all-rounder projector from the manufacturer BenQ, another set of excellence. But this time, the product- BenQ HT3050 is specialized as one of the best projectors for home theater and yes, off course for the money!
What we liked most about BenQ HT3050 is it’s SmartEco Technology that saves energy up to a huge percentage. Apart from this, we have a lot more to talk about this projector. Keep going through the review- Features and Benefits As mentioned, BenQ HT3050 is a Home Theater genre. To give the audience a Hollywood-like feature, it has got a built-in color palette in the device. Also, a 15000:1 contrast ratio, a premium RGBRGB color scheme and a certified color reproduction scheme has made both ends of quality and price met.
BenQ HT3050 is an awesome cinematic experience for whoever has a look at its projection. Its operation is completely “whisper-quiet”. So, at even the most silent moment of the movie, you’ll hear the movie, not the projector.
To make the movie appearing large, the BenQ HT3050 has a 100” image size and a diagonal screen size of 60”- 180”. 1.3x exact zooming capability and a throw ratio of 1.15 to 1.5. What else does a movie-freak need?
2. RIF6 CUBE Pico Video Projector Review
What We Liked Most About This Product Now at the second pick of our home theater projector’s list, we’ve got something epic.
The most wondering fact on the RIF6 CUBE Pico Video Projector is its extremely pocket size and superb mobility. You can literally carry around the entire unit in your palmtop. That’s an epic sign where technology has taken us, indeed.Features and Benefits Meet one of the smallest home theater projectors of the world, the RIF6 CUBE Pico Video Projector! As the name contains the word- Pico, you can already guess that you can keep it on the palmtop. Although it comes will a well-standing tripod.
To make anywhere a cinema hall, this RIF6 CUBE Pico Video Projector is equipped with its own battery, speaker, SD card reader, and a stand-on tripod. Just plug it in and literally any place can be turned into a home theater.
That’s about its size and mobility. But what about the picture quality?
The RIF6 CUBE Pico Video Projector is based on its own LED-based digital light source that shows every frame of the picture with stunning color and superb clarity. Surprisingly, it has a durability of 20,000 hours if taken care of properly. So, the calculation says, you can watch a movie every day for the next 20+ years with this little magic box.
IN a nutshell, anyone who needs mobility on their life as a movie-lover would fall in love with this RIF6 CUBE Pico Video Projector. Although it’s quite pricey, once bought, it will repay every penny of it with the awesome movie experience.
What We Liked Most About This Product Epson is one global brand with enormous reputation and that reflects in its home theater projector Epson EX7240 Pro.
What charmed us most on this pro-level home projector is its accuracy in color and resolution. With 3200 lumens display standard, a WXGA resolution of 1280×800 and HD quality presentation is a perfect blend for any theater lover. Features and Benefits Epson EX7240 Pro is quite significant compared to its typical competitor models of best projectors for home theaters. While other models have more or fewer issues with lagging and latency in displaying, Epson EX7240 Pro has improved connectivity to face the challenge.
It’s completely wireless that can cast from your laptop, tablet or iPhone without any cable connectivity. So, you can move freely without any effect on the movie display.
As mentioned before, it’s display quality is quite improved than other devices. Its processor is made of 3-chip technology that gains 3x higher brightness and 3x wider color gamut. What else can you expect from a movie projector?
Lastly, we’d like to do a mention of honor for the price that it offers. Comparing the features that it comes with, it has made itself way affordable for buyers who’re bound in a limited budget.
What We Liked Most About This Product Nebula Mars portable projector is probably one of the best budget home theater projectors in the market, and it is due to its 3000 Lumens brightness and dual JBL speaker. Along with these its DLP technology with 4K and 3D support also steals the limelight in HD home theater projector market. Features and Benefits Mars portable cinema projector from Nebula is a brilliant projector that will make you go awe with its superior performance and a vast list of features. Starting with its projection attributes, it packs a DLP technology with 1280 X 800 native resolution which is sufficient for an overwhelming movie session.
To make the image brighter and clear, Nebula has embedded a powerful RGB LED lamp that possesses 3000 Lumens of brightness. The exciting portion of this projector is that you can connect any device to enjoy 4K movies using this projector and that too without frame loss.
The highlighting part of this projector is its capability to project 3D content without any rainbow effect, and this feature makes it one of the best home theater projectors under $1000. You will fall in love with this projector because it packs dual JBL 10 watt speakers that would give an extra edge to your movie session.
While watching movies or TV series, you won’t have to worry about power because it comes padded with 19500mAH battery. It lets you project visual between the range of 12 inches and 150 inches. The throw distance is pretty good on this projector, and it ranges from 0.5m to 3m.
With Nebula Mars, you can almost connect all the favorite gadgets because it comes with HDMI and USB port. You can also utilize its wireless connectivity to connect your Android or iOS smartphone. However, you can’t join Windows Miracast and Google Chromecast for projecting any content.
Let’s sum it up by looking at its pros and cons:
5. OCDAY Home Cinema Theater Projector Review
What We Liked Most About This Product Talking about its liking, OCDAY projector grabbed our attention through its LED projection system that has 1280 X 800 as native resolution with 16.7k colors. However, 30% reduced power consumption and 50000 lamp hour swayed us the most. Features and Benefits OCDAY projector merely is one of the best cheap home theater projectors you can own, and it is not only meant for homes, as you can even utilize it for churches. It boasts a LED projection system with 60Hz refresh rate and support for both 720p and 1080p. The visuals are treated to watch because it projects 16.7k color with native 1280 X 800 resolution. To add to its stunning visual performance, it also boasts a 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio with three kinds of projection method. To give an extra edge to your visuals, it also comes with a 360-degree image flip facility.
You won’t be disappointed with brightness because OCDAY video projector comes with 2800 Lumens of brightness. This potent cheap projector will baffle you with its longevity as the manufacturer claims that the lamp will last up to whopping 50000 hours. To maximize your entertainment, it allows you to play with the screen size from 50 inches to 200 inches. It also boasts a throw distance ranging between 4 feet and 12 feet. You will love the clarity and deep blacks because it boasts a contrast ratio of 2000:1.
OCDAY 5.0 inch projectors come with a dual 3-watt speaker which is sufficient enough to produce soothing sound. Even though it is not a projector of under 500 dollar mark but the large connection option will baffle you which includes HDMI, USB, AV, VGA, and YPbPr port. It supports almost all kind of video, audio and picture format so you can seamlessly play your content without any ado. It only weighs 3.5Kg so you can easily carry it anywhere and install them according to your need.
6. Optoma X316
Agreed, the Optoma X316 is not the best looking projector in the market today. But does it provide a good bang for the buck? Read on to find out. The device is great on price and the specifications are impressive as well. Optoma is known to produce powerful high brightness projectors and this device is no different. With 3200 lumens of color brightness, the device is strong enough to be used in areas with low-to-mid ambient light. It also supports full 3D videos and games which provide an immersive entertainment experience.
The Optoma X316 is a versatile projector that is as good at presenting content as it as displaying video or playing games. The projector owes it’s superiority to the following features:
- Brilliant Color Technology: The X316 uses a DLP chip which brings you several benefits. First of all, Brilliant Color technology is integrated into all DLP projectors. Basically, Brilliant Color describes an advanced 6-color processing technology which ensures that the images displayed are vibrant and color-rich. Besides great video, this is the same technology responsible for the projector’s great readability; charts and ppt presentations will be crystal clear for users who’d mainly like an office projector.
- Low Power Consumption: The projector comes with a “Rapid Off” button which allows the device to power up in less than 10 seconds and also power down within a similar timespan. With Rapid Off, you will not only save energy but also time. Another way to save power is to use the different display modes at your disposal. For example, if you are presenting in a dark room, you can use the eco-mode to display images at a lower brightness to save power.
- Multiple Connectivity Options: This is an increasingly important feature for projectors these days because of the several different types of video source inputs that people have their hands on. At the very least, you would want a projector that can connect via HDMI, VGA, and USB. The Optoma X316 has all three along with wireless capability that will come handy when you want to connect to phones or tablets.
- Amazing lamp life of upto 10000 hours, rare for a devices in sub $400 price range. (another example, Acer p1173).
- Can support wireless connectivity ( via VGA dongle)
- Sturdy build quality
- Streaming HD videos requires cables, wireless does not support high-resolution videos.
- Average looker.
7. ViewSonic PJD5255
ViewSonic offers a range of DLP projectors for different markets and applications. The ViewSonic PJD5255 is a small projector designed for business applications. It features 5 different viewing modes to enhance the viewer’s experience. The projector is also tastefully designed to suit the needs of different buyers.
The projector’s 1024×768 resolution and 3200-lumen lamp ensured that images were bright and crisp. The device was also very easy to connect and use. Hooking it up to my 3D player or PC was a breeze. Whether I was just viewing still jpeg images or watching a movie, the picture quality was brilliant. Other than the sound, which I found a bit underwhelming, the PJD5255 was quite impressive. The projector blends performance with some neat features, making it a device I would readily recommend to buyers.
- HDMI/VGA & USB ports- this allows the projector to be connected to multiple devices, making it very convenient and easy to use.
- Exclusive SuperColor technology- this feature enhances image projection by offering a broader color range. In so doing, it ensures a richer viewing experience.
- 3200 lumen lamp- by incorporating a bright lamp, the ViewSonic PJD5255 ensures brighter and more colorful images.
- 3200 lumen lamp- by incorporating a bright lamp, the ViewSonic PJD5255 ensures brighter and more colorful images.
- Low power consumption
- 3D ready
- Low quality sound
- High fan noise, which can be a distraction
- Rainbow artifacts while viewing videos
8. BenQ MH630
Possibly the best-looking projector on our list and also the most expensive at about $700. The MH630 should appeal to those looking for a little more power. With a full HD resolution (1920×1080), a high contrast ratio at 10,000:1, 3d capabilities, HDMI connectivity, and powerful 10W audio output, you are almost certain to get an immersive movie-watching experience with this projector. In fact, we believe it is a gem of a projector within the crowded options available online.
9. BenQ MW526
BenQ is one of the leading industry players in the manufacture of projectors. The firm is renowned for the manufacture of high-quality products and its quality workmanship. The MW526 is expected to match these exacting standards and comes in a comfortable business-like carry case. The device is tailored for business, home use, and educational purposes.
Based on my analysis, I can attest to the fact that the projector offers the perfect blend of price, functionality, and features. Its high contrast ratio, bright lumen lamp, multiple connection ports, and compact build make it very versatile. It was also easy to set up and use. As a result, my learning curve was very short. As such, I would recommend it to aspire buyers.
- SmartEco technology- this power-saving feature optimizes the projector’s lamp to provide an ideal viewing experience in terms of brightness and color quality.
- 3D compatibility- business users intent on creating immersive and appealing presentations will enjoy this feature. Movie diehards will also find that the 3D allows them to experience a thrilling cinematic experience.
- 3200-lumen lamp- a bright lamp enhances image quality. As a result, users can make good use of the projector without having to worry about the effect of external lighting on the functionality of the projector.
- Long lamp life, which reaches 10,000hrs in eco mode
- 3D ready
- Large image display
- Low sound quality from its 2w speaker
- Image distortions
- Rainbow artifacts seem to occur at full mode
10. Epson Home Cinema
This list would be incomplete without Epson’s trademarked Home Cinema range of projectors. Unfortunately, Epson has not released a new model in this range in the last few years, so the 725HD does not fulfill the “should be released not more than a year ago” criteria. Having said that, authority sites like CNET, Wired or PCmag swear by the good qualities of this projector so you might not wanna give this one a miss.
How To Choose A Projector For Home Theater Within Low Budget
It might seem easy to choose a home theater projector, but in reality, it is a pretty thorny task as you have to keep a lot of things in your mind as a whole. And of course, if you are going to choose a cheaper one, that makes the process even harder. When you go search for them, everyone will look impressive especially those flashy features that are highlighted to lure consumers. However, you should not get swayed by any fancy features instead you should look into the crucial facts.
First, you have to consider the native resolution of the projector, and it is always preferable to opt for projectors with 720p and 1080p resolution. However, never rule out projectors that supports Full HD or 4K resolution even if they have 1280 X 800 resolution.
Along with resolution, you need to take a contrast ratio and aspect ratio into account while choosing home theater projectors. Always go for projectors that support the 16:9 aspect ratio because it will produce high visual quality. Likewise, choose a projector that has a minimum 1000:1 contrast ratio as the more the contrast ratio better is the depth of the visuals.
Screen size is another factor that you should consider because it would be futile to go with a projector with a low screen range. The advisable screen size range starts from 50 inches and ends at 250 inches, and never settle for devices below this.
During the selection process, you have to consider a lot of crucial features, and one of them is Lumens. The lumens number determines the brightness of a projector and never settle for Lumens number below 2000 because they won’t provide bright and clear images.
Lastly connection option in the projector and it is ideal to opt for a projector with wireless connectivity. However, you should also consider that provide an array of ports which include HDMI, USB, MHL, AV, and other necessary outputs.
Common Mistakes To Avoid When Choosing A Cheap Home Theater Projector
It is a familiar scene that many consumers commit mistakes while choosing a cheaper projector for home theater as they buy abruptly without considering any considerations except the price.
First and foremost spend time on what type of features and doing research saves a lot of your time as well as money. You should learn all the details that will be ideal for your needs and then go out shopping. Secondly, consider the layout of the room and measure appropriately so that the projector will be suitable for the setup. Make a plan for the installation and measure the area accurately where you will mount the projector. Check our guide of projector mounts here.
Never take “Lumen” number casually, and it is seen that people often opt for projectors with low lumens which don’t provide enough clarity as well as brightness. So it is essential that you should pay heed to the lumens number because it will ensure proper clarity even if there is ambient light.
People often skip the projector screen while buying a projector which is entirely a poor move. They consider their white wall as their screen, but they forget the fact that they won’t get the same visual as the HD projector screen. So it is crucial to always opt for screens while buying a home theater projector from the store.
The most common blunder people make while selecting their projector is by cutting their budget. Even though the budget is an important consideration but when you are investing in the projector, it is best to go for the best in the selected range. Never opt for any below-grade projector nor an over expensive one during selection. It is always smart to target the most potent projector in your target range because you won’t buy them every month.
Check out the guide from BenQ to get a better idea of buying a perfect home projector.
Why You Should Buy A Home Theater Projector
- Watching Movies: Don’t you agree that movie night at home is the best night that you can spend with your family. And yes, this is the added advantage of having a new home theater system installed at your home. This particular system allows you and your family to have a relaxing day when you have had an exhausting one at work. Just come home and unwind by watching a movie with your closed ones and you will feel very relaxed. But the technology is not just for a movie-watching session. Having a home Theater helps the members in the family to be more absorbed in a particular moment.
- Watching Sports: Gone are the days when you had to watch the sports session in the boring, old TV that you had. Times have changed, and now you can watch your favorite players kick some serious goals in a star quality home Theater system. Having this technology at home enhances the experience of watching sports. Trust me when I say this that if you watch a match in the home theater system, then it will feel like you are present in the stadium. This kind of experience is what makes the home Theater system a must in your house.
- Playing Games: One of the biggest forms of entertainment in the families of now is playing video games. And with new and upcoming games like Mario Kart and Nintendo dominates the gaming world, it is really necessary that you have a system that can give you and your family the ultimate experience in This is where the home Theater system becomes a positive factor. With this bad boy in your home, you don’t need anything else as this alone will enhance your gaming experience and make you feel like you are in the game itself. Sound cool, right?